Saturday, September 13, 2008

One week

So I've been here one week and everything is going well!
Language class is very helpful ( and I can understand about half of what most people are saying now- at least in general conversation)
I visited the stables I will be riding at on Thursday, it is not very big but the horses are well kept, and there are jumps.
Also the instructor is my school secretary, and she said any time I want to ride I can just stop by the office and say 'I want to come today'. So this makes me very happy.
Last night I also additionally went to another stables with a neighbor last night, where I got to ride the horse she leases part time!
Monday I get to go to the rowing club!!!!!! :) :) :) :)
My family informed me that over Christmas break we will go skiing in Switzerland
As many of you know all though I've skiied twice before (the conclusion of the first ending with a broken arm) I'm very bad and quite the novice. My host mother, Oda, brushed this off saying "at least you've stepped in skis before"
Regardless of skiing I'm very excited for the trip!!!
Also I will have a week long vacation in October, that my host family says we will travel for!!!
I also met with my liaison, who is very nice, and she says that our 'chapter' of AFS has trips to France and so on planned for us!!!
I love Karlsruhe! The castle here is very beautiful (it is like a mini Versaille)
I will put up pictures later today after I visit "TheatreFest"
The girls in my school are very nice. When I told the student who has been translating for me that I wouldn't be back until October because of language school she said "That's very sad, but I'm glad you will be coming back!"
Also I have never eaten so much in my life!
I know Europe thinks every thing in Americs is supersized, but here is what a normal day in food is here:
Breakfast (for me, everyone in my family eats something different) : Bowl of Oatmeal (not cooked because in Germany that's pooridge)
"Snack": A full out sandwich
Lunch: A warm meal generally with pasta, a huge plate or "shallow bowl" full of it
After which I'm offered more to which I respond " Nein Danke"
To which my host father responds " Full all ready!"
After which I'm offered a cookie or chocolate bar, or some kind of dessert
Dinner: 2 pieces of bread with butter, cheese, and bacon or sausage
After which I again get a " Full again all ready!"
There is lots of down time in the afternoon, in which I read or practice German, or walk the dog, or go for a bike ride.
It's very interesting, and I'm enjoying it extraordinarily!
Tchüss!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Marts!

Sounds like you are having an awesome time already (uh...despite that ludicrous schedule they have given you!) Hope you are getting lots of the riding in--that's great you can go any day you want!