Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Jachenau

So last weekend we were in Jachenau.
Jachenau is a village of about 700 people....
It's in OberBayern (Bavaria below Munich).
It's in the Alps, with lots of lakes.
To put it shortly it's gorgeous!!!!!!!!
We were there to celebrate my Host Grandmother's birthday. Her birthday was actually in February, but she wanted to come back to Jachenau with her family. Oda's family vacationed there every summer when she was a kid.
We drove down Friday after school. When we got there the weather was a little iffy but it still looked really cool. The first thing we did after unpacking was to go down to the lake. Quickly followed by hitting up the trampoline. :)
This is Tabea and Thea by the lake, you can't see the mountains in the background very well.

My youngest cousin here, Valentin, he's 3.
Thea, 9
Before too long it was dark. We (oh and by the way by we I mean myself, Tabea, and her cousin Thea) went down to the lake again with Meekah.
The next day we woke up and found the adorable puppy Rex. He belonged to the owner's of the farm we were staying at. He's a swiss mountain dog, and sooooooooooooooo ubelievabley cute!

We then went "rowing" which was actually one of those fishing boats with oars and without skulls. I do not have pictures of this due to the fact I didn't want to risk my camera going in the water.
When we got back Nonna and Großvatti had all ready arrived with Janus, my oldest host cousin, who I hadn't met before.
We had lunch, which was really just cake.
The boys (oh just for a perspective all my host cousins are boys except for Thea) then decided it would be a good idea to go swimming. I went but decided not to go in. It was very entertaining.... I stuck my feet in and it was freezing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Some of the boys swimming.
On our way back we met up with Herbert, my host dad. I told him he should go swimming too. He then replied "I'll get in when you get in."
Being me, I replied "ok, no problem."
To which he replied "uh oh I shouldn't have said that."
Shortly after the swim we walked to a restaurant and the old farm house that Oda and her family used to stay at.
We then had dinner at the restaurant. Some people played different musical pieces. After the others were finished with the keyboard Valentin decided he wanted to play as well :)
After dinner we had a "Nachtwanderung" back to the farm. It was beautiful!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The stars were amazing!!!!!!! It smelled like Lake Placid. It was so dark at some points you couldn't see who was walking in front of you. At one point some of my cousins decided it would be a good idea just to stop. One of my other cousins and I then proceeded to run into them (literally, okay well walk) in the dark, which was quite amusing.
The next day was gorgeous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
After I woke up I went down to the lake and just took pictures.
The water was such a pretty turquoise.
After breakfast we went on a walk around part of the lake.
To do this you literally had to walk through the cows and their fields...
We also found one horse, which quite intrigued Valentin.
We stopped at one point and tried to get Meekah to swim....
It didn't work very well.
You can't tell in this picture but she's trying to go in as little as possible and extending her whole body to keep her feet on solid ground..... She's no Xander....
We then proceeded to go to our swimming spot from the previous day
Yes this is indeed the view you get from there......
After the first time........
Preparing for the second jump in.....

The second time...........
After the FOURTH time in the water.........
We then went back to the house
And had lunch

After some last minute pictures.........
It was time to go...... :(
Jannis was exhausted on the way back..........
But Tabea and I were awake enough to take pictures
So I'm doing very well and after this last weekend don't really feel like coming back to the U.S.
I'm now on vacation again :)
And will be going to Berlin and Rome :)

No comments: