Monday, May 25, 2009

Between the whole bike thing and Jachenau

So I actually did stuff in between my biking accident and going to Jachenau. I just didn't manage to write a post about it. Although a little delayed here it is:
First off, the first of May is a holiday in Germany. It's the day almost every family goes out for a hike or bike tour or something outdoorsy
I went on a "hike" with my host family in the Pflaz. It was really nice weather. Hikes here in Germany are not what I would call a hike in the U.S. I know I've probably mentioned this before, but I just don't know what we would even call them in the U.S. Probably something along the lines of nature walk. Anyways it's a walk (maybe with hills) from restaurant to restaurant. On this particular day it was to four different restaurants. Where we stopped each time and had something to eat or drink. At one of these stops the adults took it apon themselves to say how strange it is in the U.S. that when we go hiking there are never any restaurants along the way. They all agreed (those that have been to the U.S. included) that they have no idea how we Americans can hike that way. I found this very amusing.
As said it was a gorgeous day though.There was a cool botanical garden on the walk. It even had a redwood!We even met a horse along the way. He was huge!!!(which you can't see in this picture) But really really big.
My next adventure was visiting Straßburgh and Europa-Parliment!!I must say I love hearing French spoken and knowing enough French to be able to help people order things in pastry shops. It was soooooooo much fun to see all the exchange students again, because we hadn't seen each other in a while actually.The pastry shops were, needless to say, amazing.
Europa-Parliment was really cool. We got to see the last session before the new officials are elected this June. We also got to see a couple of new bills passed.
Long story short it was a good time.
Oh and I of course went to visit (with other friends) my good friend the castle gardens :)

No comments: