Sunday, January 18, 2009

Skiing part 2

So the second day of skiing went much better than the first. We went to Austria, and again I learned how to manage a new kind of lift I'd never seen. This time it was called "Teller lift". It consisted of a line coming down the lift with a small frisbee like thing attachd at the end, which you stick between your legs and "sit" on. It was also logical in that it had a small down slope at the top going away from the lift. No more sliding backwards :)
After an hour or two I took a private course with an instructor. It went very well and by the end of the day I was going up the small chairlift. All in all it turned out to be fun and am actually looking forward to going again at the end of February.
I finished my stay in Wangen with a winter "hike." I say "hike" because hike to me means that you climb something with a definitive summit. "Hike" here is often a walk through the woods with little change in elevation. It was nevertheless BEAUTIFUL!!! It was freezing!!!!!!! When we had sweat in our hair it froze, and made everyone's hair look gray. We saw lots of frozen waterfalls, which were all really cool. AND ski jumps, which reminded me of Lake Placid.
On the way back to Karlsruhe from wangen we stopped in (guess where parents)....
MEERSBURG.
Back in Karlsruhe they also had gotten snow!

In fact it was sooooooooooooo cold that the lake behind the palace was, I would say a good ten inches deep frozen.
And I naturally found a playground....
After we returned to Karlsruhe one of my friends, who had moved to Stuttgart, came and stayed at the house for a couple of days. We went ice skating. Second thing I "relearned" in one week. Turned out to be much easier than skiing. Lots of fun. Many of us hadn't ice skated before. One of the girls couldn't stop and therefore ran into us to stop. That was interesting and resulted in one of the boys who actually could skate chasing her around the rink trying to make her fall. :)
It was funny.
The end of break also meant saying goodbye to my friend from Stuttgart, and to two of the exchange students who came in Feb. 2008. It was sad but we know we'll all keep in contact.
It's funny though the more you have to say goodbye to people the harder it gets.......
Good luck to the Ravens!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm so nervous!!!!!!!!!!!! Even from Germany!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments: